Since its founding in 2008 by Frédéric Chartier and Pascale Dalix, the ChartierDalix office has delivered some fifteen buildings. Noticed at several international competitions, it was awarded a number of prizes, among which the Première Œuvre du Moniteur prize in 2009, and the “40 under 40” European prize for young architects in 2012. The residence hall at the Porte des Lilas (Paris 20th arrondissement) was nominated for the Equerre d’argent prize and the Mies van der Rohe Award in 2014. The office recently received the “Le Soufaché” prize, awarded by the French Academy of Architecture in recognition of its work as a whole.
Laureate in 2016 of the international Réinventer-Paris competition for the Ternes-Villiers site and in 2017 with the Nouvelle AOM (Franklin Azzi Architecture and Hardel & Le Bihan Architectes) for the project “Demain Montparnasse,” the office masters a broad range of commissions and programs, both public, such as the La Courneuve train station of the Grand Paris Express, and private, notably several projects involving commercial properties, and hotels.
Six construction sites are underway in 2018: Three housing projects, 24,200 m² of offices in Saint-Denis (93), 65,000 m² of tertiary campus in Saint-Ouen (93), and the redevelopment of the Caserne de Lourcine (former barracks) in Paris 13th arrondissement for the University of Law Paris 1.
The firm has delivered several projects recently, from 54 private housing units in Saint-Denis (93), the restructuring of the Renault design center in Guyancourt (78), the Tafanel warehouses, rue d’Aubervilliers in Paris 19th arrondissement, 24,200 m² of offices and businesses in the Zac Batignolles (Joint Development Zone Business Park) in Paris 17th arrondissement.
For the last several years, the research department of the office has undertaken work on the integration of the biosphere in architecture.
This theme was the inspiration for the project called “Architecture and Biodiversity: Imagining a new urban ecosystem,” which was selected under the framework of the request for proposals for the FAIRE project, launched by the Pavillon de l’Arsenal.
The many investigations and analyses undertaken by the office, and the diversity of responses received concerning its buildings form an ensemble that reflects the evolution of contemporary living conditions. For this young team, architecture is envisaged as a built system combining the integration of the biosphere and poetry.
This website presents a selection of projects executed by the ChartierDalix firm between 2008 and 2018. They are divided into four sections according to their state of progress:
Our research is thoroughly intertwined with the act of construction: throughout our practice we strive to explore all that can be evolved in the built environment. These reflections take shape in our projects, each being the product of this relationship between the realms of open-thought, poetry and delivery.
This careful method of analysis can at the same time produce surprising exchanges and results that impact in a particular manner our multidisciplinary works; and define themes, or systems, that enrich the entirety of the work in progress. Our current projects are the statement of this very research we conduct at the office.
Chartier Dalix architects is composed of 60 people. Through its projects, the office has worked on several types of programs and sites. Their projects reveal a marked sensitivity to the complexity of uses and contexts: they are always relevant, innovative and generous solutions in terms of both formal and programmatic consistency.
Frédéric Chartier, architect dplg
Pascale Dalix, architect dplg & dea urba
Sophie Deramond, PhD, head of R&D
Alexandre Borsari, engineer et master HEC
Sébastien Chevance, Mickael Hassani, Tomoko Karakawa , Mathieu Terme
Manon Dolbakian, Christophe Duchesne, Romain Granoux, Nicolas Jentellet, Chloé Raillard
Jules Aumignon, Rémy Aznar, Cecil Barnes, Alexandre Barrère, Gabrielle Baujet, Jehanne Bouda, Sylvain Bourreau, Patrick Bourgeois, Felix Borel, Antoine Buton, Hélène Canitrot, Aleja Castellanos, Laetitia Chavanne, Guillaume Cournut, Frédéric Danne, Ulysse Daufresne, Melaine David, Frédéric El Bekkay, Timothée de Feraudy, Alice Florin, Pierre-Louis Fohr, Camille Foing, Romuald Fontaine, Camille Genoud, Nicolas Grosperrin, Angela Lee, Lucile Le Rouillé, Nicolas Maes, Claire Mallet, Tom Martin, Ariane Mischler, Roxane Monthiers, Mathilde Muller, Tudor Neagu, Pierre Paillou, Mariangela Pellerito, Lucille Perrin, Victor Peteul, Khanh-Duong Pham, Jean Renaud, Aline Spitzer, Arnaud Thomas, Joseph Vincent, Perrine Weissert
Frédéric Danne, Frédéric El Bekkay, Guillaume Cournut
Camille Foing, Tomoko Karakawa, Aline Spitzer
Alexandre Barrère, Angela Lee, Joseph Vincent
Victor Peteul, Claudio Canesso
Communication and Development
Morgane Amiel, Lara Eid
Florence Houis, administration manager
Carine Rodrigues, accountant
Sabrina Lopes, office manager
Apolline Bory, receptionist
Awards, exhibitions and conference
– Frame Awards 2019, public prize, for Gabriel Péri housing in Saint-Denis, in the Co-living complex category – German Design Award 2019, for the transformation of the Renault Design Centre in Guyancourt, category Architecture – Nominated to the Equerre d’Argent 2018, with Brenac & Gonzalez, for the offices and retail spaces, ZAC Clichy-Batignolles in Paris 17e, category Activities – Archi Design Club Award 2018 for the offices and retail spaces, ZAC Clichy-Batignolles in Paris 17e, category Tertiary
– «Le Soufaché» Award 2017 from The Academy of Architecture
– Trophy Archizinc 2016 with AvantPropos Architectes, for the Moulin college in Lille
– Trophy Archi Design Club 2016, the Rosalind-Franklin school in Ivry-sur-Seine
– Nominated for the Mies van der Rohe Award 2015, with Avenier Cornejo for the young workers residence and crèche in Paris Porte des Lilas
– Nominated to the Equerre d’Argent 2014, with Avenier Cornejo category housing, for the young workers residence and crèche in Paris Porte des Lilas
– 40 Under 40 Prize, European prize of the Young Architecture 2012 session
– Première Oeuvre Prize 2009 for the bowling pitch structure in Meaux, Groupe Moniteur
– Pascale Dalix, conférence ESTP, Make ma ville great again ! ou quand les nouveaux modes de consultation réinventent la ville, 13 nov 2018
– Frédéric Chartier, Festival “La tête dans les étoiles” CAUE 94 à Ivry sur Seine, 22 oct 2018
– Pascale Dalix, 7e congès National du Bâtiment Durable, Biodiversité/Biomimétisme, 18 oct 2018
– Frédéric Chartier et Pascale Dalix, KM4 la ligne 16 rentre en piste – La Courneuve, oct 2018
– Sophie Deramond et Nicolas Maes, Bim world 2018, Usages avancés du BIM et du Generative Design, mars 2018
– Sophie Deramond et Florent Yvert (Biodiversita), Toitures végétalisées avec l’ARB IDF, mars 2018
– Pascale Dalix, «Réinvestir Paris» Forum Smart City, nov. 2017, Paris
– Frédéric Chartier, «Systèmes» ENSA Paris Malaquais, nov. 2017, Paris
– Frédéric Chartier, «Dezeen: talk about the future of Paris», Maison & Objet, sept. 2017, Paris
– Pascale Dalix and Frédéric Chartier, «Systèmes» for the Entretiens Chaillot, sept. 2017, Paris
– Pascale Dalix and Frédéric Chartier, «Les Architectes du Grand Paris Express», june 2017, Paris
– Pascale Dalix, «Du bâtiment vert aux villes biophiliques : l’après Réinventer Paris», nov. 2016, Paris
– Frédéric Chartier, Biennale of Sustainable Architecture, nov. 2016, Barcelone
– Intervention at the ENSA Paris-La Villette, oct. 2016, Paris
– Pascale Dalix et Frédéric Chartier «Architecture et biodiversité», sept. 2016, Natureparif, Paris
– Pascale Dalix’s conference in the jury at the ENSA Paris-La Villette, july 2016, Paris
– Mercredi d’AS conference, janv. 2016
– Conference at Architecture Studio, Paris
– «Rencontres Bétons!»’s conference, oct. 2014, Maison de l’architecture en Île-de-France
– Pascale Dalix and Sophie Deramond teaching at the Architecture school of Versailles 2012-2013
– Frédéric Chartier, teaching-assisting of Marc Mimram, École d’architecture de la ville & des territoires à Marne-la-Vallée (77)
– Intervention at the Harvard School of Architecture’s seminar, 2011
– Exhibition «Métamorphose de la Tour Montparnasse», sept/oct. 2017, Pavillon de l’Arsenal, Paris
– Exhibition «Social Housing» april/may 2017, Riba practice space, Londres
– Exhibition «Réinventer.paris» février/mai 2016, Pavillon de l’Arsenal, Paris
– Exhibition «Sports, portrait d’une métropole» may/aug. 2014, Pavillon de l’Arsenal, Paris
– Exhibition «Le fabuleux destin du Nord-Est Parisien» april 2010, Pavillon de l’Arsenal, Paris
– Exhibition «KAMA SUTRA» feb. 2010, Maison de l’Architecture, Paris
– Festival «Printemps de Paroles» mai 2009, Parc culturel de Rentilly (77)
– Exhibition «Dehors! Paris 2» nov. 2008, Maison de l’Architecture, Paris
– Exhibition «Dehors! Paris» oct. 2007, Maison de l’Architecture, Paris
– Exhibition «Concours for the new TGI of Paris» march 2007, Cité de l’Architecture et du Patrimoine, Paris
– Festival «Architectures Vives» june 2006, Quai d’Austerlitz, Paris
– Exhibition «Concours Privé de PLAN 01» nov. 2006, Maison de l’Architecture, Paris